Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Home-Made Photo Canvas by crafty gal

I spied this idea last year on the internets. I have been waiting until I had some good photos of us to make them. When we went on a trip to the mountains in October, I got a chance to snap some photos of us. Here is what I made:

Here is how you do it:

Step 1: Gather Supplies.

 This will include modge podge (matte), 8x10 canvas, 8x10 photo, wax paper, strips of patterned paper, black paint, brushes, a clean towel.

Step 2: Modge Podge the canvas, even the sides.

 Step 3: While that is drying (about 20 min) take you paper and cut it into 10in and 8in strips. Keep the width a tad smaller than the actual canvas. (You will cover the white parts up later with paint anyway.) You re-modge podge each side, and I also did the actual papers too, based on one tutorial's advice.  Attach them to the sides, smoothing as you go.

Step 4: Trim about an 1/8 in off each side of the photo so it won't overlap the canvas. I forgot on my second and third ones, and it was a pain to correct later!  Then, place the photo face down on the wax paper, and modge podge the back. Place it on the canvas, using your towel to smooth it. Let dry. (about 20 min.)


Step 5: Cover your photo with modge podge. It will feel weird at first, and you will think you are ruining the photo. You aren't. It will look milky white until it dries.(about 20 min)


Step 5: Paint the edges. I dabbed the paint on pretty thick, then went back over it with a dry brush to blur the paint into the photo's edge. Keep that brush DRY so it blends better!  Let all this dry, and guess what... YOU ARE DONE!  Here is the finished result:


Here is how they look all finished up :)



and I made some smaller 4x4s for My Micah's office, my mom and my mother in law as Christmas gifts.

Happy Crafting :)

1 comment:

  1. i completely missed this post! these are so cool. totally inspired to do it now. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete