Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Twinkle Lights, Popcorn, and Camping...


 So, if you remember this post  you remember we have become avid campers. However, we became such with borrowed equipment from a sweet friend. It was time to get our own. Borrowing from a camping guru like we did was great though... we knew exactly what we needed!
So, we scoured sales, thrift shops, and online sources and compared prices and tried to really keep it simple (read: not expensive) to go on our first camping trip of the year. We did it, and it was a smashing success if I do say so myself. Here are some highlights in my favorite blog form... the list.

1. Weather.com was not even close to right about the weather for the weekend. "Highs in the 70s" were no where to be seen, but hey, we DID see our breathe in the tent!

2. Wet Wood = lots of smokey fires. I felt so, um... robust smelling by the time we left.



3. When the rude college age kids in the next site over wake you up at 2am with their loud yapping, just roll over and let it go... and take solace in the fact that your kids will be up at the butt crack of dawn and you won't be shushing them. at.all. Glorious street justice :)

4. Popcorn made over the campfire may give your arm a cramp, but it tastes SO good. (this was one of the supply "splurges" that I used some of my birthday money on. SO worth it!)


5. Get the Ikea french press so your husband can have his coffee. Caffeinated spouses = happy spouses.

6. Two words. Twinkle Lights. ( we had many people stopping to look at these. they were SO festive. I plan on adding more for the next trip!)

7. The best part of camping? No internet or wireless. Ahhhhh... :)

8. Reading The Hardy Boys by the fire was almost so stinking picturesque, I wanted to pinch myself. I mean, here we were, reading, sipping hot chocolate, sitting by a fire, while the wind whipped through the air. If one of my kids hadn't farted and brought me back to reality, I might've thought I was dreaming.

9. If your husband doesn't smoke a pipe, I am sorry. Camping just isn't camping until that pipe tobacco scent is wafting through the air.

10. Oh, those twinkle lights? They light up the camp site a lot more than you realize... or maybe you do realize it as you tinkle in the woods before bed... the ever so twinkle lighted woods. Ooops.



4 comments:

  1. 1. You're making me super excited for our camping trip now.

    3. SWEET JUSTICE!

    4. We totally scored one of those at a yard sale maybe cost us a dollar. LOVE IT!

    5. You know I HAVE to get lights now! Where did you get yours?

    7. I think that's my best part too...and the kids don't even miss it. Makes you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 is my favorite!! Next time, bring kazoos for the kids. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE camping!! It's my favorite. And now I want one of those popcorn makers!
    Do you have a pie-iron? If you don't I HIGHLY recommend getting one or two. You can do so many things with them...cook breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert! We took crescent rolls one time and filled them with pie filling. OMG so good! better than s'mores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! WE love love love camping-got the french press too! :)

    ReplyDelete