Monday, September 22, 2014

Stop Osteening Your Life

In the last couple of weeks there has been a storm of Christian fury toward Victoria Osteen after she said this:



(Yeah, I used the one with Bill Cosby. How could I not? It is BILL COSBY.)

And while I am the first to admit that what she said was completely and utterly unbiblical and wrong, I think the reason so many folks got their feathers ruffled was because...

We actually believe this.
We actually live like this.
We actually DO this.

We like to think we dress up for church... for Jesus.
We like to think we sing songs... for Jesus.
We like to think we fellowship... for Jesus.
We like to think we do all this "Christian" stuff... for Jesus.

But deep down, a lot of times, it is for ourselves.
That's why when tough times come, or we have to choose between truth and our comfort zone, we turn a deaf ear. Our self gratification trumps everything else.

"Na-na-na-na. I can't hear you. Don't tell me anything to spoil my good time."
"Jesus, I love you, but don't mess with the comfy christian bubble I have created."
"I like things the way they are, don't mess with it, no matter the reason."

Because you see, if your comfort zone is a glorified social club gathering on Sundays, or a marriage that never endures a truly hard time, or a life who's biggest struggle is which new color to repaint your kitchen... you might just be missing it.

You might just be Osteening your life.

Doing it for yourself under the banner of "All for Jesus."

So before we get our torches ready to burn ol' Vicky at the stake, let's ask ourselves...

Who Am I Really Doing It All For? 
Because the minute your convictions are compromised for your comfort zone... you will have your answer.




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.... (and I like the Bill Cosby touch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nike shoe bot Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:17 PM

    You have good articles here! If anyone here is looking for a loan @ 2% rate in return to buy a home or other financing needs, I want you to contact Mr Pedro On pedroloanss@gmail.com When I was introduced to Mr. Pedro at the market watch seminar, I was entering the market as a first time buyer. Naturally,my needs were a bit different and I had loads of questions. Before he sent me my pre-approval letter, he called to speak with me about what it meant and what could change. He made himself available to me at pretty much any hour via email and texts. He was very responsive and knowledgeable. He’s also very straightforward. I explained to him what my expectations were in terms of closing time and other particulars. He said he would meet those expectations but he surpassed them. I closed so quickly my realtor and the seller of course were excited about that. But as a buyer I appreciated being walked through the process of Mr Pedro loan offer. From pre-approval to closing- the journey was so seamless and I consider myself lucky because I’ve heard horror stories. I recommend him to anyone looking for a loan. Everything was handled electronically expediently and securely

    ReplyDelete